In an effort to be true to our theological roots and to satisfy the desires of our hearts and souls, we are going to take a page out of popular culture and use it in our worship. [Just as the ancients co-opted winter solstice celebrations to celebrate Christmas!]
Remember the old Drive-In Movies of our youth? Well, prepare yourself for Drive-In Communion!
Using modern technology, we are able to gather in the parking lot at church, each in our own separate cars, yet able share together in a brief service and the distribution of communion. Here’s how it works:
- On the last Sunday of the month, drive to the church and arrive between 5:45 and 5:55 pm. Park facing west, toward the Scout Huts. Follow the directions of the “ushers.”
- Tune your car’s radio to FM 102.5. You’ll hear some music playing, and perhaps the pastor's sweet voice!
- As we approach 6:00, we’ll check to be sure everyone is connected.
- At 6:00, we will hold a brief Service of the Word that will include prayer, scripture, and the Eucharistic Liturgy.
- At the end of that service, again at the direction of the “usher” you will drive forward toward the Scout Huts, turn right, then turn right again to drive past the front doors of the church.
- There, Assisting Ministers will be on both sides of your car with the sacramental elements.
- Roll down your windows.
- Put out your open hand so that the minister can drop a piece of the host into it.
- Then select the closest communion cup from the tray. Both wine and apple juice will be available.
- You can then drive home in peace, having been fed at the Lord’s table!