Resurrection Lutheran puts into practice Martin Luther's concept of "the priesthood of all believers" by offering the opportunity, for those who feel called, to serve as Assisting Ministers in our worship. We also encourage our Confirmation-age youth to serve as Acolytes.
Worship is the one activity we do as a whole congregational family. In fact, it is the reason we formed a congregation. Each and all of us are called to actively worship our God, and some are moved to offer that gift in a leadership role. Currently we have nearly 40 confirmed members who serve as assisting ministers, organized in teams and scheduled. Our Cantor leads us in the sung liturgy. Our Liturgists write and offer the Prayers of Intercession. The Lectors proclaim the Word. Two more Assisting Ministers complete the team to serve the Lord's Supper.
Key words for this ministry are:
- Invitational—everything we do invites participation
- Hospitable—we welcome all to our worship
- Joyful participation—we take pleasure in serving both God and our congregation
- Preparedness—we are dedicated, study the lessons and know what is expected
- Reverence—in the presence of the Lord God
Being an Assisting Minister requires some training and weekly preparation through prayer and study, and offers deep satisfaction and joy for those called.
Contact Lynn Waterman.